12/06/2009

Scalping in Day Trading

For a long time, I’ve been a fan of the scalping trading style. It’s one of the most reasonable ones in my book, because it’s based on the simple premise of getting in and getting out as quick as possible, with little thought to what the market will be doing in a few days from now. There are actually two different sides to scalping, or in my mind two different basic definitions of scalping, with only one being the one I want to focus on with this post (I’ll tell you which one that is as we go along). Again, the basic principle that I think of that makes scalping work is that you don’t have to be right for a very long time…you can be right for only just a couple of minutes and make money scalping. But man, if you try to put on a trade for the long haul, as in weeks or months, you’re really going to run into a case where you’re going to have to be right for a much more sustained amount of time. I’m telling you, it’s much easier for me to predict what the market may do within the next 15 minutes as it is for me to predict what it will do in the next 15 days. With a smaller time frame perspective, the trade just seems a little more manageable to me. Of course, if all of us could predict the future, we would have bought Gold back in 2007 when it was only at about $500.00 an ounce. And even back then, that was considered a breakthrough price. But human nature being what it is, and the nature of the markets being what they are, nobody really could have known how far Gold was going to go up—as of this writing, it’s over $1,000.00 an ounce. Unreal. That’s a whole other story…I was trading Gold options in 2007, and believe me, there are times now where I look back and think about totally revising my trading philosophy based on what has happened. But alas, it’s much better to formulate and stick with a plan than it is to keep bouncing back and forth and “chasing a moving bus”, trying to get in on a market move that has already taken off. There are ways to do it, if you are a somewhat skilled trader, but please don’t try to chase a market if you’re a novice trader. You will experience what’s known as being “whipsawed”, which is just as bad as it sounds. You’ll get tossed around the markets like a balloon at a 3-year-old’s birthday party. Again, it’s better to use a disciplined trading approach, based on recognizable chart patterns, than to try that crap.

But on to the business of scalping. And man, let me tell you, it is a business. The first definition of scalping—the one that I’m NOT going to use for this post—is that of taking advantage of disparities between the bid and ask prices on a stock, or futures contract, or forex currency pair. This is a very common practice in the trading world, performed by traders and market makers the world over. Basically, the bid price is the give-it-to-me-right-now price that people are willing to buy the stock for (I’m using stocks just for the ease of the example, but it applies to futures and forex as well). The ask price is the give-it-to-me-right-now price that people are willing to sell their stock for. When there are discrepancies between these two prices (which most of the time there are), you have what’s known as a spread. The spread is where market makers make their money, and where they’re able to “scalp” profits from trades. The whole business of scalping wouldn’t do nearly as well as it could if it were not for people willing to use market orders to enter a position—this is the “give-it-to-me-right-now” price that I was referring to earlier. The type of scalping I’m talking about is of a slightly different order, but based upon the same basic thing. Basically, my version or definition of scalping (and I may be the only one who understands or accepts my definition) is when you buy (for example in the case of futures contracts) several futures contracts, wait for the price to rise the slightest little bit to where it’s showing a small amount of profitability on a per-contract basis, and then immediately sell as soon as the per-contract position becomes profitable. This may seem like a herky-jerky way to do things, but believe me, there’s a method to the madness. Let’s use Wheat for an example with this—as you can tell, I love trading the Grains. Wheat has a tick value of $50.00, meaning if Wheat goes from 300.00 to 301.00, the per-contract value has increased by fifty bucks. Now think about it: The average online commodity broker will charge roughly $25.00 round turn for commissions and fees, and less if you trade a whole lot of contracts on a monthly basis. Many brokers provide a commission scale that’s based on the amount of trading activity you crank out on a monthly basis. If you’re considered to be an “active trader” by your brokerage (and most day traders are), that usually means you trade hundreds of contracts/shares/currency pairs per month, and when this happens, you are usually qualified to receive lower commissions, sort of like a volume discount. Now back to my Wheat example…let’s say you buy 10 contracts of Wheat at 300.00, and in just a few minutes the price fluctuates a little, but ends up popping over 302.00. You place an order to exit your position with an absolute limit exit price of 301.00. You end up exiting at 301.00, with a gross profit of $50.00 per contract. Think about it: You just made $50.00 per contract, and since you have 10 contracts, it only took one small uptick to make $500.00. Now take away an average of $25.00 commissions and fees per contract, and you’re left with $250.00 profit (give or take; again, this could greatly vary based on whether or not your broker offers discounted commissions). Not bad for a few minutes worth of work. Even if you only did this every day, you’re looking at about $7,000 a month. For some people, that’s a great supplemental income; for many, it would even replace their current full-time income. This, my friends is the scalping trading method. Okay, I have written way more than I planned on writing, and I’m ready to drink some chocolate milk, so I’m signing off. Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment